1. Description and Overall Objective
The 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon brings together around 45 civil society activists, IT professionals and designers from the Eastern Partnership and EU countries to enhance existing prototypes of digital solutions that would enable civil society to contribute to improved transparency and accountability in the EaP countries, as well as to address the concrete needs of communities, and/or lead to the improvement of public services. The Hackathon is organised by the EU-funded Eastern Partnership Civil Society Facility project.
The Hackathon winner(s) will receive financial and expert support from the European Union to finalise and launch their civic tech solution(s).
The 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon will be held online, from 12 May until 10 June 2023. The working language of the Hackathon is English.
The Hackathon participants will work in teams consisting of three or more experts. As a minimum, each team shall include:
- the author of the respective digital solution prototype (a civil society representative and a subject-matter expert) who will act as the team lead of his/her team and be fully responsible for the development process and the outcome,
- two or more IT professionals (developers, designers, data experts, etc.), including at least one developer (depending on the technical aspects of the proposed solution).
Considering its objective, applications to the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon are accepted only from teams with an existing prototype of a civic tech solution and with a minimum set of technical skills to work on its enhancement. Whenever possible, these teams will be complemented with technical experts (developers, designers, data experts, QA experts, product owners, business analysts, etc.) selected within this Call for Applications. Such technical experts may join any existing team of their choice.
Participation in the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon is open to all citizens of EaP countries with a strong civil position and real experience of civic work, regardless of their experience in working for a CSO.
On the final day of the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon, the teams will present their improved prototypes to the Hackathon organisers, mentors and other participants, who will evaluate the digital solutions. Up to 5 top-scoring prototypes (3 by the participants’ vote and 2 by the mentors' and organisers’ vote) – the Hackathon finalists – will be nominated for the Digitalisation for Civil Society Award, a special facility to support the full-fledged development and launch of the best solution(s) proposed by the 2023 Acceleration Hackathon participants.
3. Cost of Participation
The cost of participation in the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon will be covered by the European Union.
4. Eligibility of Participants
Participation in the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon is open to citizens and CSOs from the EaP countries – Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine. Applications from grassroots activists and young IT professionals from across the region are encouraged.
In addition, nationals of EU Member States may join the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon as independent IT professionals and/or graphic designers working with the teams of the selected civic tech solutions.
5. How to Apply
To apply for participation in the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon, the applicants need to fill in the online application form at the website and submit it before 23.00 (CET) on 24 April 2023, if applying with a prototype of a civic tech solution, or before 23.00 (CET) on 1 May 2023, if the applicants are IT professionals or graphic designers.
- Applying with a prototype of a civic tech solution. Applications for the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon are accepted only from teams that possess minimum technical skills for enhancing the prototype of the proposed digital solution and consist of at least one subject-matter-expert (team lead) and two technical experts (including at least one developer) responsible for the technical implementation of the proposed changes to the prototype. There is no limit on the maximum number of team members.
- Applying as an independent IT professional and/or graphic designer. IT professionals and graphic designers may apply for the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon individually, to provide additional support to selected teams of their choice.
Applying with the prototype of the civic tech solution to be enhanced within the 2023 EU-EaP Civic Tech Acceleration Hackathon, applicants need to provide the link to the existing prototype and describe the proposed solution in brief, indicating:
- the specific problem(s) to be addressed and how the proposed IT solution will help solving it/them;
- how the proposed IT solution addresses the needs of the targeted community(-ies), helps citizens to better hold their governments to account and/or leads to the improvement of public services in their home country and the EaP region;
- the main users of the proposed solution and how they will benefit from its launch;
- other IT products that tackle the same problem (if exist) and the differences with the proposed solution;
- how the proposed IT solution will be maintained and updated in the future;
- the team proposed for participating in the Hackathon, and team members’ expertise.
The organisers will seek to inform the applicants about the selection results no later than 5 May 2023.
6. More Information
For more details, please download and read Guidelines for Applicants. Questions to organisers may be sent by e-mail ([email protected]) no later than one working day before the application deadline.